Keya Warmline (24/7): 402-261-5959
The word “Keya” means “turtle” in Lakota, a Native American language. Keya is believed to be a symbol of good health and long life. Keya demonstrates the ability to adapt to changes and new surroundings by living in and out of water—a trait symbolizing the power of individuals to adapt to healthier activities and a new lifestyle.
Keya is also accepting and uncomplaining, and it moves with a slow and steady pace forward— another trait symbolizing an individual’s realization that health improvements don’t happen quickly and it takes a steady pace of growth and change in order to recover and attain a state of wellness.
Ashley Wilksen, Diversion Services Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
Keya House is for adults with mental health and substance use issues who live in the Region V Systems service area. You must have transportation to and from the house.
“You guys have an amazing system. When I go to the hospital I’d freak out more because I can’t work. I can’t make money or pay bills so I’d freak out even more and spiral down even more….Thank you for giving me encouragement and hope.” Former Keya Guest
What We Offer
A comfortable, clean, and furnished four-bedroom house in a quiet and safe neighborhood. Self help and proactive recovery tools to regain and maintain wellness. Each guest gets their own private bedroom. It is staffed with trained Peer Specialists who are compassionate, understanding, and empowering.
- We offer a free stay of up to five days.
- We offer an option to stay as day guest if you do not want to stay overnight.
- We offer a warmline free of charge to call 24/7 to talk to a trained Peer Specialist.
- Guests are allowed to come and go as they please.
- Peer Specialists staff the house twenty four hours a day.
- Staff can maintain contact and support at your request after you finish your stay.
- You must be 19 years or older.
- You must not have any known physical illness (fever, flu symptoms, intestinal distress, etc.)
- You must be able to maintain acceptable personal hygiene.
- You must be responsible for preparing your meals and cleaning up after yourself.
- You must have permanent housing after your stay.
- You must follow the house rules which are explained when you enter the house.
Peers have all experienced what it is like to be on the verge of crisis, if not surrounded by it. We understand the need for support in these difficult times, which is why we offer strength, hope, and knowledge about recovery to those individuals who need a supportive and healing environment.
Becoming a Guest at Keya House
This program is strictly voluntary and free of charge. You can self-refer, be referred by a health professional or family/friend. There is a registration process that starts over the phone, to ensure the appropriateness of the program for each individual. Anyone wanting to visit or stay at the Keya House must call before coming. (402 261-5959) There is paperwork we ask those who choose to check in to fill out with us at the beginning of their stay.
"I need to thank you all for your kindness and patience that you have all had with me! This is the place where people can go to change their lives."
“I absolutely love this house. It has been an amazing experience for me. You guys really saved my life. Thank you all.”
"The Keya House helped me to reduce my stress level and heal from grief."
Former Keya House Guests
If you’re interested in visiting the Keya House, would like to learn more information or would like to talk with one of our trained Peer Specialists please call: 402-261-5959
Statistics from our program
Total guests served as of Aug 2017 – 669
Average warmline calls per month (1/2017-8/2017) – 445
The average cost to run Keya House is approx $284/day. In comparison to higher levels of care, which can exceed $1200/day (not including cost of emergency personnel such as police etc), the Keya House is a very cost effective service.
Guest Satisfaction: (As of September 2017)
- Helped me avoid Crisis Center or Emergency room %90
- Staff used language that was nonjudgmental %95
- Staff and guests were respected equally %95
- Staff was available if I wanted to talk…. %95
- Overall, I felt comfortable at Keya %94